Articles for 777 Discussions
on Problems with EPMA of Glass and
related issues of quality control of EPMA data used in tephrochronology
Updated: January 23, 2007
Ordered by publication year, oldest first
Slides created from poster V33B-0663 at the December 2006 AGU meeting (Fournelle, Severin, Wallace, Beget and Larsen.
Comment by John Fournelle, December 2006.
Below is as comprehensive a list of articles (in English) on this subject as I know of. Please tell me of any I am missing. If you have difficulty locating copies of any of these articles, contact me and I will see what I can do to help you.
- Oxygen outgassing caused by electron bombardment of glass (1963) J.L. Lineweaver, Journal of Applied Physics, 34, 1786-1791.
- Changes in composition during electron microprobe analysis of K2O-SrO-SiO2 glass (1966) A.K. Varshneya, A.R. Cooper and M. Cable, Journal of Applied Physics, 37, 2199.
- Local compositional changes in alkali silicate glasses during electron microprobe analysis (1967) M.P. Borom and R.E. Hannerman, Journal of Applied Physics, 38, 2406-2407.
- Electron-probe microanalysis of alkali metals in glasses (1969) L.F. Vassamillet and V.E. Caldwell, Journal of Applied Physics, 40, 1637-1643.
- On the evaporation of some alkali methals during the electron microprobe analysis (1969) J. Siivola, Bulletin of Geological Society of Finland, 41, 85-91.
- Electron probe microanalysis of glass containing alkali metals (1975), P.J. Goodhew, Microstructural Science, 3, 631-641.
- Quantitative methods for electron microprobe analysis of sodium in natural and synthetic glasses (1981), C.H. Nielsen and H. Sigurdsson, American Mineralogist, 66, 547-552.
- Field-induced migration of sodium in soda silicate glasses during scanning electron microscopy (1989) T.M. Walker and D.G. Howitt, Scanning, 11, 5-11.
- Mechanism for the radiolytically induced decomposition of soda-silicate glasses (1991) D.G. Howitt, H.W. Chan, J.F. DeNatale and J.P. Heuer, Journal of American Ceramic Society, 74, 1145-1147.
- Analysis of oxygen with the electron microprobe: Applications to hydrated glass and minerals (1992), W.P. Nash, American Mineralogist, 77, 453-457.
- Standardization of the chemical analysis of tephra deposits. Report of the ICCT Workingt Group (1992) P.C. Froggatt, Quaternary International 13/14, 93-96.
- Tephra geochemistry: a discussion of some persistent analytical problems (1993) J.B. Hunt and P.G. Hill, The Holocene, 3, 271-241.
- Quantitative electron-microprobe analysis of alkali silicate glasses: A review and user guide (1995), J.G. Spray and D.A. Rae, Canadian Mineralogist, 33, 323-332.
- Comparison of microanalytical methods for estimating H2O contents of silicic volcanic glasses (1995), J.D. Devine, J.E. Gardner, H.P. Brack, G.D. Layne and M.J. Rutherford, American Mineralogist, 80, 319-328.
- Sodium diffusion in glasses during electron irradiation (1995) O. Jbara, J. Cazaux and P. Trebbia, Journal of Applied Physics, 78, 868-875.
- Anomalously low sodium in MORB magmas: evidence for depleted MORB or analytical artifact. (1995) R.L. Nielsen, D.M. Christie and F.M. Spretel, Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 59, 5023-5026.
- Optimizing the electron microprobe analysis of hydrous alkali aluminosilicate glasses (1996), G.D. Morgan VI and D. London, American Mineralogist, 81, 1176-1185.
- An inter-laboratory comparison of the electron probe microanalysis of glass geochemistry (1996) J.B. Hunt and P.G. Hill, Quaternary International 34-36, 229-241
- Interlaboratory comparison of electron probe microanalysis of glass geochemistry (1998) J.B. Hunt, P.D. Clift, C. Lacasse, T.L. Vallier and R. Werner, Proceedings of the ODP, Scientific Results, 152, 85-91.
- Tephrological implications of beam size - sample size effects in electron microprobe analysis of glass shards (2001) J.B. Hunt and P.G. Hill, Journal of Quaternary Science, 16, 105-117.
- Analytical techniques for volatiles: a case study using intermediate (andesitic) glasses (2002) P.L. King, T.W. Vennemann, J.R. Holloway, R.L. Hervig, J.B. Lowenstern and J.F. Forneris, American Mineralogist, 87, 1077-1089.
- Electronprobe Microanalysis of Volcanic Glass at Cryogenic Temperatures (2002) S.L. Kearns,N. Steen and E. Erlund, Microscopy and Microanalysis 8 (Supple 2), 1562-1563CD.
- Tephrochronology of Last Termination Sequences in Europe: a protocol for improved analytical precision and robust correlation procedures (a joint SCOTAV-INTIMATE proposal) (2004) C.W.M. Turney, J.J. Lowe, S.M. Davies, V. Hall, D.J. Lowe, S. Wastegard, W.Z. Hoek, B. Alloway and SCOTAVE and INTIMATE members, Journal of Quaternary Science, 19, 111-120.
- Effect of current density on the electron microprobe analysis of alkali aluminosilicate glasses (2005), G.B. Morgan VI and D. London, American Mineralogist, 90, 1131-1138.
- SIMS investigation of electron-beam damage to hydrous, rhyolitic glasses: Implications for melt inclusion analysis (2006) M.C.S. Humphreys, S.L. Kearns and J.D. Blundy, American Mineralogist, 91, 667-679.